Featured post

Question to council: William Marshal

Richard Stainthorp to ask the Lead Councillor for Culture Heritage and Recreation: William Marshal As I am sure the Lead Councillor is awar...

11 Jul 2011

Buying British

I always try and buy British.  I only buy British meat because we have such strict laws in this country.  I try and but British fruit and vegetables and focus on seasonal produce (although it can get a bit dull in winter).  I buy British bread and butter, use a British brand of skincare and the baby wears British made cloth nappies. 

I feel I am buying good quality if I am buying British.  I choose to buy British to support our farmers and manufacturers.  It's important that we try and grow as much of our own food as possible.  In the first instance it reduces the carbon footprint of things as they don't have far to travel it and it also means we are less reliant on other countries produce.   Buying British supports the economy and jobs.

Sometimes you have to buy from abroad - bananas, tea and coffee for example, and when that happens I try and buy Fair Trade so the farmers and producers get a fair deal.  Some of the ingredients of the skincare I use have been ethically sourced overseas because they simply don't grow in our climate.  I think it's important you make an informed decision when you buy things as your decision could have far bigger consequences than you realise.

No comments:

Post a Comment