Featured post

Question to council: William Marshal

Richard Stainthorp to ask the Lead Councillor for Culture Heritage and Recreation: William Marshal As I am sure the Lead Councillor is awar...

27 Mar 2012

Some thoughts on tonights full #rdg Council meeting

Just got back (via the shops for milk) and thought I would pop a few bits about tonights meeting down.

Firstly I have to say how moved I was by Cllr Jamie Chowdhary's farewell speech.  He appears to have been treated terribly by Reading East Conservative Party, who are yet give a full explanation as to what has happened.  He received a standing ovation by Labour, the Lib Dems, the Greens and Cllr Mark Ralph. Very sad indeed.  I wish him good health and happiness for the future.

On a more positive note I am pleased to say Reading Labour's motion on job substitution, which you can read here, was passed.  I seconded the motion and spoke briefly about how it was designed to ensure work substitution did not take place at a time when people are worried about their jobs and supporting their families.  The Conservatives wanted to amend it to the point the monitoring of job substitution was no longer in the motion, but this was not accepted.

Other motions, among others, were passed on the NHS, against the forced acadamisation of schools and supporting super (or was it super duper) fast broadband.

It was a long night, finishing just past 11, but I must say I did enjoy my short walk home in the relative peace this time of night brings, especially when the night sky was so beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment