Featured post

Question to council: William Marshal

Richard Stainthorp to ask the Lead Councillor for Culture Heritage and Recreation: William Marshal As I am sure the Lead Councillor is awar...

22 Mar 2015

Deputy Mayor Diaries: West Forest Sinfonia


This is a tricky one to write about.  First I shall give you the facts.  The West Forest Sinfonia give concerts of professional quality with musicians drawn from across Berkshire.  Today's conductor was Philip Ellis and we had a wonderful piano performance from the very talented Georgina Sutton.  It was held in the Geat Hall of the University of Reading which was a stunning setting.

The pieces played were:

Beethoven - Egmont Overture
Mozart - Piano concerto K in D Minor
Faure - Pelleas et Melisande
Schubert - Symphony No.5

The reason it's tricky to write about is because music means different things to everybody.  I found the concert enchanting.  I have enjoyed classical music since I was little, being introduced to it through the famous ballets and Fantasia.  I have expanded my collection over the years but I don't find myself listening to it very much.

I love classical music but I find it very distracting so having it on in the background usually ends in me stopping doing whatever it was I was trying to do.  I love the rhythm and the 'rules' and find my brain connects to the music.  I find it very relaxing and I imagine the ballet moves that could accompany the piece I am listening to.  This meant this concert was very enjoyable.

The conductor and musicians were also fascinating to watch.  I can't recommend attending a live concert enough.  It really is a very different experience to listening to a CD.

Sadly my relaxed mood didn't last long because when I got home the boys had turned the front room into a pig sty! 

No comments:

Post a Comment